Get ready for
This information is MUST-READ for Garage48 registered participants!
Garage48 Kaliningrad 2013 will start on Friday, 9th of August at 18:00pm
WHAT TO BRING WITH YOU?
- Positive attitude, open mind and lots of energy!
- Everything you need for a rapid product development.
- Please take your:
- laptop & mobile phone
- all chargers you need & with 3-5m power extension cord (as power might be on distance)
- patch cords 10m long if you prefer cable Internet rather than wi-fi
- swimming suites :)
- tent & mosquitos protection stuff (good to have)
- mattress, sleeping bag and towel
- business cards
- photo camera to take and share photos
- credit cards for domain registration
SUBMITTING AND VOTING FOR IDEAS
- Join event's Facebook group where you will get real time updates about the event. Also feel free to post your ideas there and discuss them with other participants already before the event; so you will get valuable feedback and increase chances to get a team willing to work with your idea :)
- Every participant can pitch an idea, but it is not required that everyone is pitching
- Please prepare a good "elevator" pitch: you will have 90 sec to present your idea. Consider following key points:
- Describe briefly your background (10 sec)
- What's the idea all about? What is the problem your idea solves? Ideal use-case? (30 sec)
- Technical solution and the revenue model (in case of non-profit idea, how the maintenance and further development costs will be covered?) (30 sec)
- Minimum viable product and plan for 48 hours. Who do you need for the team? (20 sec)
- Look at the guideline and example "how to prepare a good pitch" (slideshare)
- NB! Practice your pitch to your friends or family before you present! 90 seconds goes really fast!
- You can prepare 1 (one) PDF slide to support your pitch. You should send the slide by Friday 14:00 latest by e-mail email@example.com (Subject: name of your project).
- After pitching is over, we will put all the ideas on the wall. Every participant will choose their favourite idea and this is how teams will be formed. Usually 12 to 15 best ideas will get enough interested people to get the "green light" for the implementation.
- Average team has about 5 to 7 people and the team should be "balanced" - covering all required roles like a project manager (team lead/visionary), developer(s), designer and marketer in order to get the product/service ready in 48 hours! Minimum size for a team is 4 people and max is 8 people.
- If some ideas get too few people or not balanced teams (probably unable to build the service), the idea will be dumped. Those people should choose another idea/team.
WORKING IN TEAMS
- After forming the teams, organizers will give a room/space for every team for the weekend. You should start by dividing roles, setting the product vision, customer journey and start working right away.
- It is very important that you have a project manager (team lead) in the team - one of his tasks is to keep the focus of the team, one eye on the clock and the other on the team progress. 48 hours is really a short time.
- We can help you with domain registration and hosting, if you need. See below and ask on-site staff.
- Food and drinks. We provide breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. So, you could focus on work and building your product.
- Mentors. We have arranged mentors to work with the teams throughout the weekend. Some of them are more technical, some more business savvy. Be open and ask for their advice and contacts.
- Please wear your name badge during the whole event, this will help to encourage networking and gets you inside. Otherwise be open, get to know new people, share your ideas and give ideas/feedback to other teams.
- MOST IMPORTANT - have fun!
SUNDAY DEMO NIGHT
- On Sunday every team will practice their final demo pitch together with mentors in 2 pitch drill sessions. Note that you will have to show only working product, no slides whatsoever!
- The final demo event starts at 5:30pm
- We will pick teams randomly. Every team gets 3 minutes for product demonstration (+3 min Q&A).
- The development process is the core of the event. Nonetheless there will be a jury, to evaluate the results and choose the top projects.
- Sunday demo night is not the end; it's just the start of your start-up life. Drop us a line any time to get a referreal for accelerator programs or intros with mentors.
This event is special as it will actually take place by the seaside
- We can provide limited amount of tents on apply first, get a tent basis. Others should bring their own tents. Take your own sleeping bag and camping mattress ;)
- If you have further questions, please see the agenda and FAQ page. If you don't find an answer there, drop a mail to anka.khan [at] gmail.com krists [at] garage48.org.
We expect about 100 people with a full commitment to participate the challenging 48 hour weekend boot-camp event building new web and mobile applications. We are looking for various skill-sets and roles:
- Visionary Entrepreneurs or Project Managers - people with ability to start new business ideas, run teams and deliver on time
- Marketing Gurus - evangelists and sales wizards making the products fly and reach the audience
- Designers - mavericks creating visual identity and user interfaces
- Web Developers - HTML/CSS/AJAX/JS wizards making the design work smoothly in all web browsers
- Programmers & Mobile App Developers - planning technical architecture, writing functional code and testing the outcome or building apps for mobile platforms
P.s. Youngest ever Garage48 participants was 15 years old; sometimes courage and passion is all you need to get a team and create a product :)
- Ticket: 15 EUR - covers all food, snacks and drinks during the event.
- Discounted ticket 10 EUR for students. Insert Promotion Code "Student" below the registration form. Don't cheat!
- Free entry for camp "Baltic Artek" participants if you apply in advance (Developer, designer places left only) here
- If you have any questions or bugs with registration drop us a mail
For EU citizens and residents of other countries Russian visa is required! If you need any assistance, please contact local organizer Anna by e-mail
Organizing partners are :Agency for Youth Affairs of the Kaliningrad Region
Agency for Youth Affairs is a structural department of the Government of the Kaliningrad Region responsible for realization of the state youth policy on the territory of the westernmost region of the Russian Federation. Actual news, event’s announcements, which can be attended by young residents and guests of Kaliningrad region, are published on the website: www.molod39.ru. The Global Shapers Community is a network of Hubs developed and led by young people who are exceptional in their potential, their achievement and their drive to make a contribution to their communities. To learn more about the Global Shapers Community and to apply or nominate a Shaper, please go to Globalshapers.org